It’s that time again for our round-up of great online articles, interviews, etc. about, for, or dealing with comedy because, honestly, we just had too many of these great reads saved to look “at some point”. So, we read them and made this list.
Included in this edition are great road stories with Jimmy Pardo by John Roy, wonderful absurdity from the hilarious mind of Andrés du Bouchet, Pete Holmes interviewing Anthony Jeselnik, and much much more.
3) We’re leaving Portland today, but we had a great time here. Catching No Pun Intendo at Ground Kontrol, a comedy show at a video arcade, and the Suki’s open mic only scratched Portland’s lively and growing comedy scene. If anyone reading gets a chance to go (even if it’s not time for the Bridgetown Comedy Festival), please comedy in Portland. Now, we’re back on our way to LA where we’re spoiled comedy wise.
9) OPEN MIC RUN PALMS 8572 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/lottery SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/$4 min./first come, first served NERDIST THEATRE 7522 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (back room of Meltdown Comics)/Sign-up 7:15PM/Starts 7:30PM/lottery/30 spots available/no purchase necessary TSUNAMEDY @ TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA (Echo Park)/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 9PM/first come, first served/mixed mic MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed/bottled water and coffee available
10) Yes, we will be post tomorrow on the 4th of July, though nearly everything comedy wise is shut down. We’re just that dedicated/unable to define our lives very well outside of this.
1) Louis CK dropping in at the Frolic Show. You’ve got to wonder if he’ll come up with a bit about trendy Asian Restaurants after this.
2) The LA Improv Comedy Festival @ iO West starts today! (Yes, we reported yesterday that said festival would start today, but many people, when not reminded, think, “I remember that was supposed to start some time this month.” We’d like to try to avoid this for such events)
9) OPEN MIC RUN SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/$4 min./first come, first served CLUB 705 705 Pier Ave., Hermosa Beach, CA/Starts 7PM-ish/no purchase necessary/first come, first served RED ROCK 8782 W. Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 8PM/no purchase necessary/first come, first served MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/bottled water and coffee provided
10) A kid asked me yesterday, “Does being a comedian pay well?” Oh, the things that little one will have to learn…
3) Check out comedy podcasting hub Earwolf’s new site! A fantastic thing got pretty damn fantastic!!!
4) Kyle Cease has a new video to push a self-help brand of comedy on his “Wake the Hell Up Comedy Tour” [via Punchline]. ”He’s doing something pretty new in comedy. He’s using it to get a point across.”-testimonial from girl who has obviously not watched Bill Hicks or any number of comedians. It’s only a matter of time until a parody comes out.
5) Brand new to Conan: The Pardo Patrol. Let’s hope this becomes an actual regular segment on Conan.
6) Behind the story of Camp Crystal Lake, you’ll find Tom McCaffrey, Barry Rothbart, Matt Fulchiron keeping the camp open despite Jason killing more people. This video should be the next installment/re-boot of the Jason franchise.
9) OPEN MIC RUN THE SPOT CAFE 4455 Overland Ave., Culver City, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 7PM CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM/$3 cover/10 min. guarantee CAFE MUSE 6547 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 8PM LIBRARY A COFFEE HOUSE 3418 Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 8:30PM
7) OPEN MIC RUN HOLLYWOOD HOTEL 1160 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 7PM THE SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Starts 7PM CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM/10 min. guaranteed TKO SHOW @ 212 CAFE 212 Pier Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Starts 9PM
8) Day 153 of the Comedy Bureau. You’re all welcome.
1) “Finally! It’s Saturday Night and I Need a Laugh”-the resolution to the Comedy Bureau investigative report started over a week ago will be later posted today (The Comedy Bureau coffee machine has been missing for the last week, which has severely cut down on productivity around here).
6) OPEN MIC RUN 2/10/11 HOLLYWOOD HOTEL 1160 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 7PM, THE SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Starts 7PM, CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM/$3 cover/10 min. guaranteed TKO SHOW @ 212 CAFE 212 Pier Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Starts 9PM
7) Recently: Activision is retiring the wildly popular video game series Guitar Hero (thankfully), so maybe they can make a smart, innovative, thought provoking, and still vastly entertaining new style of video game in “Kyle Kinane’s Midnight Scientist”.
8) I’m so funny that a woman called me a battered woman last night at a party while laughing maniacally. As far as having “game”, well…..
1) Forget Black Friday-Jimmy Pardo’s “Pardcast-a-Thon” kicks off 6PM TONIGHT for 12 hours straight having all proceeds go to Smile Train benefiting extremely underprivileged children who need cleft palate surgery regain their smile as well as the ability to speak properly, eat, and lead a normal life (not that comedians really know what that’s like). There will be tons of big guests as well as Jimmy Pardo himself, so tune in for some laughs/charity here.
3) OPEN MIC RUN: UCB THEATRE 5919 Franklin Ave., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 6PM/Starts 6:30PM/10 spots available, iCANDY 1708 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 6PM/Starts 7PM/$3 min., SILVERLAKE LOUNGE 2906 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM MARTY’S 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed
5) Brendon Walsh was on Conan last night. I missed it because I have lost all concept of time and don’t have a DVR. Fortunately TeamCoco.com are good people and have his set right here.
6) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to JERRY BRANDT-@HateJerryBrandt- Awkward Thanksgiving phone conversation with my Dad is done…we can now go back to ignoring each other until Christmas. Over the last year, Jerry Brandt has made his indelible/bitter/funny mark on the “Long Beach Comedy Scene” as well as the rest of LA with his monthly show, “The Happy Tiki Comedy Show @ The Puka Bar” and his weekly podcast “Drinking Buddies” with awesome co-host Chris Adams recorded at CSULB. Though his twitter handle is @HateJerryBrandt, he certainly only wants to hate himself in the most self-deprecating, hilarious way possible. Upcoming Shows include: Big Trouble in Little Tokyo @ Señor Fish 11/30 8PM FREE and Ultimate Laff Down @ Khoury’s 11/2 8:30PM/$7/$10 food-drink min. Be sure to check out his Website and Twitter.